Comments (83)add comment

Bus Stop?
A bus stop, really?

February 14, 2010
Votes: +0

Dylan Matheson said:

...
The person sitting on the Australian's right hand side definitely looks like they're wearing Canadian CADPAT, (is that a Canadian soldier?)

February 14, 2010
Votes: +0

Tom / Pasadena said:

...
A valuable record; it's great that we have a chance to see it. Yes, it was touching that Lithuanian women knitted those hats. I hope Americans are doing similar things for the kids; it would be nice to know about them.

As for the site, I think it's excellent, except please move that red stop-sign/slide-show button out of the way!

February 13, 2010
Votes: -1

Linda Carter said:

Children.
Some of the children look so eager to have their picture taken and yet other's look so serious for such a young age--there seem to be such sadness in some of them (certainly understandable.)

Oh yea, the neck scarves/shawls... is there some significance to the color and pattern (are these elements that denote tribe affiliation, status of leadership or such?) I know that is the case in some mid-eastern cultures.

February 13, 2010
Votes: +0

Linda Carter said:

Nice Compositon and Color!
Nate,
The pictures are beautiful. You have chosen a nice range of the content and subject matter. The overall composition is superb. The vibrant colors, clarity, and sharp focus are striking and certainly screams "professional."
I would like to ask what lens and filters you are using? Looks like you have an incredible wide angle capability--or do you shoot further away and digitally zoom-in in processing? The many "social networking" site that are available to those supporting the troops, are so good to post many pictures; however, due to the environment in Afghan they sometimw are not as vibrant or sharp.—is often the case with posted pictures taken by the troops. I am not complaining; however, just know that you must be using a nice filter to get those colors to "pop." I do realize it was a very cold day and the crisp air helped clean away a lot of the haze and dust in the air.

February 13, 2010
Votes: +0

Royah said:

...
I like the pictures you have taken so far. Afghan children are so adorable. I liked that Afghan children were being taught mine awareness. This issue is so important. I am touched that Lithuanian citizens took the time to knit caps for the children! Keep up the good work!

February 13, 2010
Votes: +0

Royah Masumi said:

...
I like the pictures you have taken so far. It is good to know that international soldiers are teaching Afghan kids mine awareness. The Afghan kids are so adorable and I am touched that Lithuanian citizens took the time to knit caps for the children.

February 13, 2010
Votes: +1

Chris said:

Thanks!
Pictures say a thousand words, but I like having the captions so I know what I'm looking at. It did take me a little bit to figure out that I could hover over the pic to display them long enough to read them. Once you/we get on the road and we're checking in on a regular basis we'll figure it out. From the perspective of someone 'back home', I'm grateful to you for giving us an opportunity to see what it's like there on the ground...thanks!

February 08, 2010
Votes: +3

Nathan Gallahan said:

Great Feedback
I love this feedback! I should start a bunch of polls to get everyone involved with the various preferences in regard to the Web site. I went to a bunch of social network web sites when I was setting this up, and the general stereotype, was that comments were latest comments first. As for conversations, they can be had in the forums area (available to those who register for the site) where you read top to bottom.

As for taking the captions completely off and relying on the hover button completely, I played around with that today and there isn't an option to remove them completely...

February 02, 2010
Votes: -1

HelmandSoldier said:

Trooper
Also, can you arrange the comments so that the oldest ones appear at the top. Most people read web pages from the top to the bottom, and it's confusing to have to scroll all the way down just to work your way back upwards to the newest comments. Great site and great project though! Come to Helmand!

February 02, 2010
Votes: +2

HelmandSoldier said:

Trooper
You might as well leave the captions off all together. I can't read them that fast! I don't really have a problem with you leaving them up for 5 seconds or longer, because I can at least read the entire caption.

February 02, 2010
Votes: +1

Nathan Gallahan said:

Thanks for the feedback!
I've been having some real difficulty deciding what to do with the captions because there aren't enough options for "perfecting the display." I've taken the display time down to a second and I just hope people see if they hover their mouse over the the "comment balloon" in the toolbar, they'll be able to read them.

February 02, 2010
Votes: +0

jon said:

take the captions off the photos
Please change how the captions lay on top of the photos for the first couple seconds. it is very distracting. put the captions on the side of the photo or have the captions appear when you put the mouse over the top of the photo.

February 02, 2010
Votes: +0
‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Write comment
You must be logged in to post a comment. Please register if you do not have an account yet.

busy