Comments (83)add comment
‹ First  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Dylan,
They have city buses too, I just haven't photographed one yet.

March 04, 2010

Dylan Matheson said:

Day 24 Photo 5
So thats what the buses look like, I've got to say I'm rather surprised. I thought they were gonna be like the city buses you see back home. And the weather in Day 24 is depressing, the cloud coverage and mud and what not.

March 03, 2010

Dylan Matheson said:

Day 23 Photo 9
I had to stare at the photo for a minute or two cause it confused the hell out of me, then I realized he was on his stomach, doesn't look very comfortable at all

March 03, 2010

Jan,
Once we're finished with 30Days, my hope is to upload all of the photos in high resolution for everyone to have access to. Even in the best places, the internet here is pretty slow, so I may not complete that end of the project for a little while.

March 02, 2010
Votes: +1

Jan Stephan said:

...
Hi Nathan,

is there a possibility to download all photos in a higher resolution?

March 02, 2010

Day 19
Ok, so I finally got some time to stitch together a pano of the moutains at Maser-e Sharif, you can download the whole image by clicking here: http://30days.isaf.nato.int/photos/100224pano.jpg Hope you enjoy!

February 28, 2010
Votes: +1

Jurček,
I'm busted, there aren't photos for Day 19... It was more or less a down Day for Ken and I since the original missions we set out to do fell through. I have a few to upload tonight for Day 20 from our "experience" around the terminal. Basically we went to catch a flight and the flight cancelled due to weather.

February 27, 2010

Jurček said:

Day 19
In your album there is no space or box for pictures from day 19. Dont forget them! smilies/wink.gif

February 27, 2010
Votes: +1

Linda,
Great advice, but I don't want to scare everyone away from the site with pictures of my ugly mug smilies/cheesy.gif

February 24, 2010

Sarah said:

...
Day 16--great photos of the kids! I love it. Thanks. I can't wait to show my own kids!

February 24, 2010

Linda Carter said:

Typical Photog... Nate might want have someone snap a few of you along the way.
Nate,
I am afraid you appear to be a typical Photog.... always behind the camera. Your pictures are great, as usual(wonderful variety.) I hope you have been able to capture some with you in them so that you have your time there documented as well. I am sure your children will want to see you in some the photos. Great Job! I do not think you could ever shoot enough of the children... such innocent victims of this entire situation.

February 24, 2010

Patria
Picture #9 is a Finnish made Patria, there's a bunch of different varients, and that one is an ambulance.

February 24, 2010

Jure said:

...
Great pictures of day 16, there are a lot of them and I like that. Very good job. I like the mixture of various scenes from civilian life to military one, people and machines, landscape and local infrastructure, kids and adults, work and fun,... Can you write a type of the vehicles on picture 9? Thanks. smilies/smiley.gif

February 24, 2010

Maiya
YAY! That's awesome! Glad I was able to snap a photo of someone you know!

February 22, 2010

Maiya said:

My soldier
This is great, I just saw a picture of my fiance! He told me about about what you guys were doing.

February 21, 2010

...
Ya, I rode in one of the LAVs, very smooth and awesome ride.

February 20, 2010

Dylan said:

Vehicle
So Ken was riding in a Bison, what were you riding in Nathan? LAV 3?

February 20, 2010

Shawn said:

God Bless
God Bless all of you that are in Afghanistan fighting for the freedom of its people. You are doing a great service to the world! To Lance Corporal Edward Swingle and his fellow wounded, I pray for you a speedy recovery.

February 19, 2010
Votes: +2

Dylan Matheson said:

Canada Soldiers
Absolutely love the photos of day 10, happy and sad to say that our mission in Afghanistan is over in 2011. LOVE THE LOOK OF OUR LEOPARD TANKS!!!!

February 17, 2010
Votes: +1

Dylan Matheson said:

Tents
When I was at CFB. Borden, CTC Blackdown a few years ago I slept in those tents for about 6 weeks, they're smaller then the ones in your photos, my tent had about 10 beds, they were warm inside during the day and cold as hell at night which I discovered one night when I made the mistake of sleeping on my blankets instead of under them, I never made that mistake again.

February 16, 2010
Votes: +1

Buildings
Linda,
I'm not sure what the new buildings are made out of. I feel just as safe as a tent here though, because you can surround them with sandbags and T-walls. Maybe it's just me, but I love the tents! This is the first deployment I've had where they put 20 of us in one though, I've usually seen seven. You section of seven rooms with blankets, four on one side three on the other, with a hallway in the middle. Where the eighth room could be, you put a fridge, a community television and maybe some fold out chairs and you have a community area. Now that's good livin'! Don't tell the other services though, I'm not sure they get to build them up like that smilies/cheesy.gif

February 16, 2010

Rockets!
Dylan,
Believe it or not, laying as flat as possible is a really safe place to be, well, other thank a bunker. When a rocket comes in and explodes, the explosion goes up and out. So if you're laying on the ground, the blast goes above you. I've heard of people surviving rockets attacks that hit within four feet of them, while lying on the ground. When I was in Iraq last year, there was a rocket attack that took out a building about 50 feet from me, and those T-walls I showed in previous pictures, prevented anyone from getting hurt. Some had to go to the doctors because their ears were ringing though.

February 16, 2010

Dylan Matheson said:

Rocket attack
The picture you snapped when KAF was under rocket attack, wouldn't it be safer in the vehicle? or atleast have your backs against the tires I mean you guys look really really exposed lying on the sides of the vehicle.

February 16, 2010

Linda Carter said:

Day 7 Photos so informative.
Day 7 photos were so informative. Learned so much about things one does think about... like how do you build showers in the middle of a bunch of sand... how do you get water to the showers? Bathrooms are they all just the portable types. You answered a lot of questions in my mind that I never actually put words to.

The new housing looks so much safer. Are they built from materials that are more ballistic resistant?

February 16, 2010

Nathan said:

Buses
Hi Dylan, the buses run on the hour I believe. Kandahar is massive! I'll try and snap a photo of one of the buses, but they're not armored. When you're inside the wire, the IED threat and small arms fire is non-existant. The security at this place is great. With that said, there has been times suicide bad guys have made it onto the base, and you usually hear about them in the news, but they go for more "soft targets" like the dining facilities or other places large groups of people are found. That's only happened a handful of times in the last eight years, so we're generally not to worried about it, but always keep an eye out for the "crazy look".

February 16, 2010
Votes: -1

Celeste said:

...
It's hard to imagine that these children wake up to war everyday. Watching the Marjah ordeal unfold is surreal. This is home for these people.
Be safe.

February 15, 2010

Dylan Matheson said:

...
So do these buses only run on certain days? and are they armoured?

February 15, 2010

Claudia said:

sophisticated Ken
he just needs a little practice !!!
glad to see you guys are having a good time !!!
the pictures of the people are beautiful ... they say so much about their lifestyle
thanks for brinnging this journey to us !!

February 15, 2010

Oh Yes! A bus stop!
Hi Dylan, I hope you enjoyed my bus stop picture! The basic goal of the photos is to carry the camera around and take pictures of just about every aspect of living here. There are A LOT of photos on the interweb of soldiers fighting, people working, airplanes flying, etc. etc. I'll be capturing that stuff to, but when were out and about, I'm trying to keep all of you in mind and show you the things you would never see in other places.

If there's anything anyone wants me to track down, let me know!

February 15, 2010

jckelly555 said:

celeste
I feel like I've entered a new world. Thank you for inviting me.

February 14, 2010

Dylan Matheson said:

Bus Stop?
A bus stop, really?

February 14, 2010

Dylan Matheson said:

...
The person sitting on the Australian's right hand side definitely looks like they're wearing Canadian CADPAT, (is that a Canadian soldier?)

February 14, 2010

Tom / Pasadena said:

...
A valuable record; it's great that we have a chance to see it. Yes, it was touching that Lithuanian women knitted those hats. I hope Americans are doing similar things for the kids; it would be nice to know about them.

As for the site, I think it's excellent, except please move that red stop-sign/slide-show button out of the way!

February 13, 2010
Votes: -1

Linda Carter said:

Children.
Some of the children look so eager to have their picture taken and yet other's look so serious for such a young age--there seem to be such sadness in some of them (certainly understandable.)

Oh yea, the neck scarves/shawls... is there some significance to the color and pattern (are these elements that denote tribe affiliation, status of leadership or such?) I know that is the case in some mid-eastern cultures.

February 13, 2010

Linda Carter said:

Nice Compositon and Color!
Nate,
The pictures are beautiful. You have chosen a nice range of the content and subject matter. The overall composition is superb. The vibrant colors, clarity, and sharp focus are striking and certainly screams "professional."
I would like to ask what lens and filters you are using? Looks like you have an incredible wide angle capability--or do you shoot further away and digitally zoom-in in processing? The many "social networking" site that are available to those supporting the troops, are so good to post many pictures; however, due to the environment in Afghan they sometimw are not as vibrant or sharp.—is often the case with posted pictures taken by the troops. I am not complaining; however, just know that you must be using a nice filter to get those colors to "pop." I do realize it was a very cold day and the crisp air helped clean away a lot of the haze and dust in the air.

February 13, 2010

Royah said:

...
I like the pictures you have taken so far. Afghan children are so adorable. I liked that Afghan children were being taught mine awareness. This issue is so important. I am touched that Lithuanian citizens took the time to knit caps for the children! Keep up the good work!

February 12, 2010

Royah Masumi said:

...
I like the pictures you have taken so far. It is good to know that international soldiers are teaching Afghan kids mine awareness. The Afghan kids are so adorable and I am touched that Lithuanian citizens took the time to knit caps for the children.

February 12, 2010
Votes: +1

Chris said:

Thanks!
Pictures say a thousand words, but I like having the captions so I know what I'm looking at. It did take me a little bit to figure out that I could hover over the pic to display them long enough to read them. Once you/we get on the road and we're checking in on a regular basis we'll figure it out. From the perspective of someone 'back home', I'm grateful to you for giving us an opportunity to see what it's like there on the ground...thanks!

February 08, 2010
Votes: +3

Great Feedback
I love this feedback! I should start a bunch of polls to get everyone involved with the various preferences in regard to the Web site. I went to a bunch of social network web sites when I was setting this up, and the general stereotype, was that comments were latest comments first. As for conversations, they can be had in the forums area (available to those who register for the site) where you read top to bottom.

As for taking the captions completely off and relying on the hover button completely, I played around with that today and there isn't an option to remove them completely...

February 02, 2010
Votes: -1

HelmandSoldier said:

Trooper
Also, can you arrange the comments so that the oldest ones appear at the top. Most people read web pages from the top to the bottom, and it's confusing to have to scroll all the way down just to work your way back upwards to the newest comments. Great site and great project though! Come to Helmand!

February 02, 2010
Votes: +2

HelmandSoldier said:

Trooper
You might as well leave the captions off all together. I can't read them that fast! I don't really have a problem with you leaving them up for 5 seconds or longer, because I can at least read the entire caption.

February 02, 2010
Votes: +1

Thanks for the feedback!
I've been having some real difficulty deciding what to do with the captions because there aren't enough options for "perfecting the display." I've taken the display time down to a second and I just hope people see if they hover their mouse over the the "comment balloon" in the toolbar, they'll be able to read them.

February 02, 2010

jon said:

take the captions off the photos
Please change how the captions lay on top of the photos for the first couple seconds. it is very distracting. put the captions on the side of the photo or have the captions appear when you put the mouse over the top of the photo.

February 02, 2010
‹ First  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Write comment
You must be logged in to post a comment. Please register if you do not have an account yet.

busy