Comments (83)add comment
 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

Stef said:

Walls
This reminds me of something I meant to ask a while ago already: What exactly is it with Afghans and walls? Often they don't have houses, but they'll just put up four walls to have a courtyards. Then maybe some Rooms off to the side of one of the walls. Here it looks somewhat like a city, but there are pictures from southern Afghanistan where you can see those walled compounds literally in the middle of the desert with nothing around.

Do they use the courtyards for livestock? Are they territorial and want a fortress against other people. Maybe something you could ask when you get the chance smilies/smiley.gif

March 11, 2010
Votes: +1

Jim Gallahan said:

...
Great shots from the chopper Nathan, now I'm jealous:-).

March 11, 2010

Dylan Matheson said:

Photo 16 Day 31
At the somewhat bottom of the photo it looks like about 2 dozen crators from a bombing run or something, besides the crew was it just the 2 of you travelling on the bird?

March 10, 2010

Linda Carter said:

82nd Paratroopers
Great to see some of US 82nd D Paratroopers. Many of the 82nd D Paratroopers have had pretty tuff deployments there. Many have served in remote areas with a lot of action almost the entire time they have been there (Not meant in a glory manner--sober actually.) They are a very tightly knit unit with an incredible sense of brotherhood, and the many fallen and wounded have been heartbreaking. Their tasks have been heavy and constant. Thanks for sharing their pictures.

March 10, 2010

Paolo Vacca said:

Day 30 - Photo 5 of 30 Sassari Brigade Crest
The Sassari motto in the crest means MY LIFE FOR MY COUNTRY"

March 10, 2010

Nathan Gallahan said:

Dylan,
We actually have our own rooms! It's REALLY nice. It's the first time I've had a little bit of privacy since I arrived in Afghanistan.

March 10, 2010

Dylan Matheson said:

Day 30 Photo's 11 and 30
Photo 11: Looks like you got a pretty good set up for where you're staying right now, are you and Ken bunking in the same room? Or do the rooms only house 1 person.

Photo 30: In a way it kinda looks like an old German Flak 88, its most likly a AAA battery, would make sense if its at an airfield.

O and to add to my previous comment BUS!!!!!!!!!!!! lolsmilies/cheesy.gif

March 10, 2010

Dylan Matheson said:

BUS!!!!!!!
Ha you finally snapped a photo of the bus eh? awesome

March 09, 2010

dennis said:

Day 29 photos
Great photos, I would say your team was very lucky to land there, just when so much was happening.
side note I would like one of those moterbikepickups.smilies/cool.gif

March 09, 2010

Nathan Gallahan said:

...
@Dennis, I never thought any of them were Taliban. But consider I've never been in direct combat and "seeing" the Taliban is a trained skill. They were all very welcoming and kind. I didn't feel too in danger.

@Dylan, Well, I would take a place like this over a FOB any day of the week. With that said, I would rather be in the smallest, most desolate places than any "built up" place. I'm a weird-o though. smilies/cheesy.gif

March 08, 2010

Dylan Matheson said:

Day 28 Photo 3
Pretty nice building to live out of for your deployment, probaby a lot better then the FOBs in Southern Afghanistan

March 08, 2010

dennis said:

day 27 photos
What was the feeling you were you getting from the people there. could it have been taliban.?

March 08, 2010

Nathan Gallahan said:

Dennis & Paolo,
Thank you so much for the compliments! While I would never dare compare my abilities to anyone shooting for National Geographic. I'm not even considered a photographer to some in certain circles smilies/grin.gif

March 07, 2010

Paolo Vacca said:

...
Again outstanding photos! We never see Herat in this way! Great! Thanks a lot Nate

March 07, 2010
Votes: +2

dennis said:

day 26 -27
Outstanding photos, great depth and tones.National Geographic work here.smilies/grin.gif

March 07, 2010

Nathan Gallahan said:

Panorama
Hi everyone, here's the link to the full resolution panorama I shot for Day 26. Thanks for all the wonderful comments!

March 06, 2010

Paolo Vacca said:

...
Beautiful pictures for the Day 25! Thanks from the FB Group "Con la Brigata Sassari in Afghanistan". We wait for the next shots!

March 05, 2010

dennis said:

herat
Yeah does look like home. but some of the building look different.

March 05, 2010

Jurček said:

Herat
It will be nice if you take a picture or talk to one of the Slovenians stationed there (Camp Arena and Camp Stone). Soldiers work as Force Protection at the Arena and OMLT at the Stone, there are also two civil CIMIC experts for livestock. I look forward to see what are you going to display from that part of the AFG.

March 05, 2010

Jurček said:

...
Nathan,

on picture 6 from day 22 is M-ATV (MRAP All Terrain Vehicle). It is made for Afghan environment. The M-ATV is designed to have the same level of protection as the previous MRAPs, but with the mobility of a Humvee. Italians are using LMVs from domestic factory called Iveco. That vehicle can be seen in some other armies (UK, Norway, Spain,...).
Great, you have made a progress and finally moved on the other location. I am glad for you two guys. yttwoguguguys.two guys.

smilies/wink.gifsmilies/wink.gifsmilies/wink.gifsmilies/wink.gifsmilies/wink.gifsmilies/wink.gifsmilies/wink.gif

March 05, 2010

Nathan Gallahan said:

Dylan,
They have city buses too, I just haven't photographed one yet.

March 04, 2010

Dylan Matheson said:

Day 24 Photo 5
So thats what the buses look like, I've got to say I'm rather surprised. I thought they were gonna be like the city buses you see back home. And the weather in Day 24 is depressing, the cloud coverage and mud and what not.

March 03, 2010

Dylan Matheson said:

Day 23 Photo 9
I had to stare at the photo for a minute or two cause it confused the hell out of me, then I realized he was on his stomach, doesn't look very comfortable at all

March 03, 2010

Nathan Gallahan said:

Jan,
Once we're finished with 30Days, my hope is to upload all of the photos in high resolution for everyone to have access to. Even in the best places, the internet here is pretty slow, so I may not complete that end of the project for a little while.

March 02, 2010
Votes: +1

Jan Stephan said:

...
Hi Nathan,

is there a possibility to download all photos in a higher resolution?

March 02, 2010

Nathan Gallahan said:

Day 19
Ok, so I finally got some time to stitch together a pano of the moutains at Maser-e Sharif, you can download the whole image by clicking here: http://30days.isaf.nato.int/photos/100224pano.jpg Hope you enjoy!

February 28, 2010
Votes: +1

Nathan Gallahan said:

Jurček,
I'm busted, there aren't photos for Day 19... It was more or less a down Day for Ken and I since the original missions we set out to do fell through. I have a few to upload tonight for Day 20 from our "experience" around the terminal. Basically we went to catch a flight and the flight cancelled due to weather.

February 27, 2010

Jurček said:

Day 19
In your album there is no space or box for pictures from day 19. Dont forget them! smilies/wink.gif

February 27, 2010
Votes: +1

Nathan Gallahan said:

Linda,
Great advice, but I don't want to scare everyone away from the site with pictures of my ugly mug smilies/cheesy.gif

February 24, 2010

Sarah said:

...
Day 16--great photos of the kids! I love it. Thanks. I can't wait to show my own kids!

February 24, 2010
 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

Write comment
You must be logged in to post a comment. Please register if you do not have an account yet.

busy