Comments (83)add comment
 1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

Dylan Matheson said:

Day 34 Photo 7
Are those huts that the military personnal live out of made of wood? and does FOB. Shank come under rocket/motor attacks?

March 14, 2010
Votes: +1

Dylan Matheson said:

Day 34 Photo 6
Its an M1117 Guardian Armoured Security Vehicle. Usually fitted with a Mk. 19 Grenade launcher and a 50. caliber machine gun, but it looks like they've been removed on that one.

March 14, 2010

Nathan Gallahan said:

Jan,
Well, Day 33 image 2 is nothing of a photograph. It's a high dynamic range image. I took five photographs of the same scene, at five different exposures and then photoshoped them together to come out with the finished product. It's not a camera technique, it's photoshopping in it's purest form. Still really fun though. While I love doing it, I'm seeing a lot of "professionals" overusing it to the extreme. I'll only do this if I see the image in my head first and go out and shoot it specifically. For full disclosure, I went out there that day for this HDR, and the rest of the photographs I shot in support.

As for the camera I'm using, it's a Nikon D300, the lens I used was a Nikkor AF-S 17-35mm 1:2.8. My flash was a combat casualty awhile ago when I combat rolled over it. It works right about 15 percent of the time, so I'm pretty limited on bright days but I've been working around it as best as I can.

March 13, 2010

Jan Stephan said:

Day 33 Pic 2
I love it! Did you use a special technique?

I'm also interested in which cameras you and Ken are using. Mind to share? smilies/wink.gif

March 13, 2010

Stef said:

...
Only Canada and Denmark deploy main battle tanks. Canada started with Leopard I and then borrowed and bought modern Leopard II A6M from Germany and the Netherlands. Denmark uses the Leopard II A5.

They support American and British offensives for example.

March 12, 2010

Larry Fitzpatrick said:

The "Craters"....
...are underground aquaducts called "qanats".

March 12, 2010

Nathan Gallahan said:

Dylan,
I haven't seen or heard of any American tanks in Afghanisntan, but I'll ask around today. Yes, the MRAPs are cramped but they work great so it doesn't really matter. Military equipment is built for it's purpose first, luxury last smilies/smiley.gif

March 12, 2010

Dylan Matheson said:

Tanks
I know this question should have been asked a while ago during week 2, but the thought just hit me. Does the United States have tanks deployed in Afghanistan I.e M1 Abrams, M2 Bradley's? or any other country have tanks deployed besides us (Canada) Because from the photo's and videos i've seen from Afghanistan I've only seen our (Canada) Leopard tanks. Also qucik question about the MRAPs. Is there a lot of room inside them because it kind of looks rather confined and cramped

March 12, 2010

Nathan Gallahan said:

...
@Dylan | I'm pretty sure those aren't bomb craters because I saw them in perfect lines all throughout the chopper flight. I'm not exactly sure what they are. If they were bomb craters, I'm sure they woudln't be in perfect lines like that in the middle of nowhere.

@Dad | Thanks smilies/cheesy.gif

@Stef | Now that's a great question, I'll be sure to ask one of the Afghans we meet why they have walls. My first thought is they're for protection and to keep robbers out of their crops and houses. Homes in Afghanistan are cherished places and must be protected at all costs, it's a matter of honor.

@Dennis | Thanks!

March 11, 2010

dennis said:

patch work
Great color,sharp and clear. To the eye,Afghanistan can be amazing.smilies/cool.gif

March 11, 2010

Stef said:

Walls
This reminds me of something I meant to ask a while ago already: What exactly is it with Afghans and walls? Often they don't have houses, but they'll just put up four walls to have a courtyards. Then maybe some Rooms off to the side of one of the walls. Here it looks somewhat like a city, but there are pictures from southern Afghanistan where you can see those walled compounds literally in the middle of the desert with nothing around.

Do they use the courtyards for livestock? Are they territorial and want a fortress against other people. Maybe something you could ask when you get the chance smilies/smiley.gif

March 11, 2010
Votes: +1

Jim Gallahan said:

...
Great shots from the chopper Nathan, now I'm jealous:-).

March 11, 2010

Dylan Matheson said:

Photo 16 Day 31
At the somewhat bottom of the photo it looks like about 2 dozen crators from a bombing run or something, besides the crew was it just the 2 of you travelling on the bird?

March 10, 2010

Linda Carter said:

82nd Paratroopers
Great to see some of US 82nd D Paratroopers. Many of the 82nd D Paratroopers have had pretty tuff deployments there. Many have served in remote areas with a lot of action almost the entire time they have been there (Not meant in a glory manner--sober actually.) They are a very tightly knit unit with an incredible sense of brotherhood, and the many fallen and wounded have been heartbreaking. Their tasks have been heavy and constant. Thanks for sharing their pictures.

March 10, 2010

Paolo Vacca said:

Day 30 - Photo 5 of 30 Sassari Brigade Crest
The Sassari motto in the crest means MY LIFE FOR MY COUNTRY"

March 10, 2010

Nathan Gallahan said:

Dylan,
We actually have our own rooms! It's REALLY nice. It's the first time I've had a little bit of privacy since I arrived in Afghanistan.

March 10, 2010

Dylan Matheson said:

Day 30 Photo's 11 and 30
Photo 11: Looks like you got a pretty good set up for where you're staying right now, are you and Ken bunking in the same room? Or do the rooms only house 1 person.

Photo 30: In a way it kinda looks like an old German Flak 88, its most likly a AAA battery, would make sense if its at an airfield.

O and to add to my previous comment BUS!!!!!!!!!!!! lolsmilies/cheesy.gif

March 10, 2010

Dylan Matheson said:

BUS!!!!!!!
Ha you finally snapped a photo of the bus eh? awesome

March 09, 2010

dennis said:

Day 29 photos
Great photos, I would say your team was very lucky to land there, just when so much was happening.
side note I would like one of those moterbikepickups.smilies/cool.gif

March 09, 2010

Nathan Gallahan said:

...
@Dennis, I never thought any of them were Taliban. But consider I've never been in direct combat and "seeing" the Taliban is a trained skill. They were all very welcoming and kind. I didn't feel too in danger.

@Dylan, Well, I would take a place like this over a FOB any day of the week. With that said, I would rather be in the smallest, most desolate places than any "built up" place. I'm a weird-o though. smilies/cheesy.gif

March 08, 2010
 1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

Write comment
You must be logged in to post a comment. Please register if you do not have an account yet.

busy